Some ACTIVITIES that we enjoy and suggest ....
The beautiful natural
backdrop of the Trossachs provides a multitude of activities to appeal to every taste from gentle forest walks to hillwalking,
climbing, mountain biking, horse riding, fishing, golfing, canoeing and other watersports.
There are myriad forest walks available, ranging from the short 2 mile excursion
to Doon Hill, near Aberfoyle (the setting for a local fairy tale!) to the longer 12mile walk from the Trossachs Pier to Stronachlacher
(returning by steamer). Details of various walks can be found in the Trossachs Footprints Walks leaflets contained in the
information box in the cottage, and a wider selection is available at the Aberfoyle Tourist Information Office.
For hillwalking enthusiasts there are
a selection of Munros (Scotland's mountains of 3000ft & over) in the area, as well as other hills:
- Ben A'an(461m - footpath from A821, north of
- Ben Venue (727m - accessible from behind Loch Achray Hotel near Trossachs Pier, or
Glen Ledard from Kinlochard)
- Ben Ledi (879m -footpath from A84, 2.5 miles from Callander)
- Ben Lomond(974m - footpath from Rowardennan on east side of Loch Lomond)
- Ben More & Stob Binnein (1174m
& 1165m - from A85 close to Crianlarich)
- Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin (985m & 975M - from Ardvorlich on south side of Loch Earn)
- Stron Lochie (501m - the hill on the other side of Loch Dhu! - no path, and requires a bit of scrambling through undergrowth &
- Beinn Dubh (511m - follow the signs for Comer farm and turn right off the track at Stronmacnair, a ruined farmhouse).
Of course, it should be remembered that hillwalking requires a good map
& navigation skills, correct clothing & footwear and checking of the relevant weather forecasts.
CYCLING & MOUNTAIN BIKING
The Queen Elizabeth Forest Park with its many tracks
provides lots of cycling possibilities - cycling part way round Loch Katrine, and Achray Forest Drive are 2 good routes. More
details from Aberfoyle Tourist Information Office. There are of course many tens of kilometres of Forest tracks starting right
outside the cottage.
Hills Watersports, Kinlochard - Kinlochard - 01877
- Trossachs Cycles,Trossachs Holiday Park, 3 miles south of Aberfoyle on A81 - tel 01877 382614;
- Wheels Cycle Hire, Invertrossachs Road, Callander - tel 01877 331100
- Katrinewheelz, Trossachs Pier
Aberfoyle Golf Club - 18 hole public course. Tel 01877 382493. Also courses
at Callander, Loch Lomond (Scottish Open Course) & Milngavie.
Forest Hills Watersports (Tel 01877 387775) on the banks of Loch Ard (2
miles from the cottage) offers a range of ’wet’ and ’dry’ activities that
can be combined or enjoyed individually. Watersports of all types are available with a comprehensive range of courses and
instruction is available.
ACTIVITY DISCOUNT OFFERS
Go Ape in Aberfoyle is located at the David Marshall
Lodge Visitor Centre and is a great high wire experience suitable for adults and children alike. It boasts the longest
zip wire in the UK, plus a high wire obstacle course in the forest which is guaranteed to thrill and keep participants talking
about it for days.